Monday 22 April 2013

Day 80 - 20th April - Famagusta to Ayia Napa

I stayed in Famagusta's own version of 'Fawlty Towers' last night. No hot water for a shower on arrival. "No worries sir, I'll switch it on now and it will soon be warm". But it's 9pm and I need a kebab. In the morning, again, no hot water for the second attempt at a shower. "Well sir, it will be later, I've switched it on... see." (pointing to immersion heater switch above reception desk). "Its just that you are up a bit early (I'm there for a pre-arranged 8am breakfast), our guests usually come down later". !!!!!

I cross into Greek Cyprus at the Eastern Sovereign Base Area of Ayios Nikolias. Very strange to be riding right through the middle of a British Army base. The football pitch is the nicest piece of turf I've seen on the island.

I've got 90 km left to go to Larnaca. I decide to have my last night nights camping on the beach a few kilometre east of Ayia Napa. It's fitting that it turns out to be probably the best campsite of the whole trip. I've got my own personal little sandy beach. I pitch the tent and spend the afternoon sun bathing.

Leaving Famagusta

I stop to dry the tent out

Entering the Eastern Sovereign Base Area

The camera hasn't captured the intensity of the the colours.........so vivid they hurt the eyes


I find the perfect site for my last night of camping - time for a bit of panic tanning

Well it was perfect until the pirates arrived!

The sun sets at the end of a lazy day






No comments:

Post a Comment