Monday 1 April 2013

Day 58 - 59 Final run to Istanbul

The highs........


My wild camping is becoming less wild and less stealthy as I develop a 6th sense about security.

Early morning cuppa. I'm quite close to the main road here and get lots of toots from motorists and truck drivers. I imagine they are a little bit envious of my freedom.
This guy - what an ambassador for his country! He stopped his bus opposite me and beckoned me over. He asked if I needed food and drink. I really didn't, my panniers were stuffed to the gunwales and I did my best to point this out. Undeterred he went to a locker in the side of his bus and came back with 3 milk bread rolls and 3 boxes of peach nectar. A refusal sometimes offends.............

Waiting for the milk collection




I befriend this mangy dog in the middle of nowhere. It has one blue eye and one brown. I offer it a milk bread roll and we are instant friends. I think he is going to follow me all the way to Istanbul



At the first opportunity I stop and point out how far it actually is......................


100 km!   Sod that......................












There are numerous LARGE dogs at the roadside but I must admit I've not had any real bad ones. Most just look hungry and lonely............a bit like me!


....and the lows

 It's around 5pm and I'm heading into an area that doesn't seem to have a lot of camping potential. They're upgrading a simple road into a virtual motorway........there are intermittent stretches of both. I stop to pick up a 5 litre flagon of water and as I secure it under the bungie cords on the back rack it starts to rain. This gets me down as I hate putting the tent up in the rain as the inner gets soaked. I start looking for a spot in earnest. It's been a fine day and all my wet weather gear is buried at the bottom of my panniers. I hit a pothole going downhill on a stretch of the old road and I see the flagon overtake me, skittering across the tarmac until it hits the central reservation, the top pops off and the water glugs away.

Back on the new stretch of road I pass huge pre-stressed concrete bridge lintels on the hard shoulder and immediately notice that they make an excellent shelter from the northerly crosswind. I could even park my bike in the dry between them. Done.





This is really sharp!








Feeling a bit low
 Unfortunately as I'm getting dinner on the go I stand up and gouge my scalp on the edge of one of the lintels. The blood flows freely and for a while I walk around in circles with my head down, spattering blood like a headless chicken, wondering what to do. I remember I have a pack of napkins in my bar bag and compress the lot on top my head to stop the flow. I pull my buff on top after 20 minutes and vow not to take it off again until I get to Istanbul. The rain by now is running across the tarmac and around the tent........but at least it is dry inside. Tomorrow Istanbul!













A Perfect Day

Saturday March 30th, 2013

The day dawned really foggy but it soon burnt off and turned into the best weather of the trip so far..........I was finally in a T-shirt! I felt elated as I worked hard on the pedals to try and get the 65km to Istanbul over with as soon as possible. I'd peeled the napkins off and washed my face with no further bleeding, although my hair was a bit of a mess.
I pack up under the watchful eye of another BIG dog


leaving my 'campsite'

Feeling a lot better!!

Due to the unfinished stretches in between I have the finished parts of the motorway to myself


The driver is underneath checking something

I have to leave my planned route when I come to a NO BIKES! tunnel and am soon enjoying the rough and tumble of the downtown traffic. Istanbul is really hilly. 

I take a break on the outskirts to dry off the tent before getting to the hostel

Satellite tracker is on to map my progress to the hostel

My first view of the Bosphorus - exciting!

I can't resist stopping for a meal before getting to the hostel
I'm going to post my Istanbul photos once I get to my next stop in Eskeshir, which is about 300km away. As you can see is up on a plateau so I will have a stiff 900m climb on the 3rd day. There's about 1,000 km to go across Turkey to the ferry port at Tasucu. 


The altitude plot to my next hotel stop
I'll just leave this post with a final photo..........

Unwittingly........believe me...........I'm having my cheeks waxed!! ..........and my hair dyed grey : )


















2 comments:

  1. This might be a silly question, but why on earth would you dye your hair grey?!?!?

    Great blog - well done!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ummm....I didn't really get it dyed grey, it just looked surprisingly grey (to me!) in the photo, so I pretended I'd had it dyed as a joke......oh, forget it! : )

    ReplyDelete