Monday 22 April 2013

Day 77 - April 17th - Girne (Kyrenia) to 'half-way up the pan handle' 47 km.



Once off the ferry Bert and I pass through passport control........ yes, both of us. It was a tight squeeze past the passport booth but we made it after some shoving and pushing.

Girne harbour - A tug-boat comes out to nudge the ferry into the berth
I'm feeling a bit washed out after an uncomfortable night on the ferry and I'm a bit slow to realise that they drive on the left in Northern Cyprus. This is not the only evidence of Brit influence here, the first shop I see is 'Fish and Chips' and soon after I'm irresistably drawn into the 'Upper Crust - British Bakery and Cafeteria'. It is full of typical WI cake fair produce. I give the cornish pasties a miss and go for a strawberry tart with cream and a mug of tea. The enterprise was in the control of Elaine, one of 3 Elaine's that work there, which must be confusing. I was prevaricating about whether to fill my bar bag with a helping of the coffee and walnut cake, when the charming Elaine offered me a complimentary slice, all neatly packaged to go. Excellent!

Ah Ha! This is civilisation!

The charming Elaine packages my coffee and walnut cake - with icing! Thanks Elaine - it was as good as it looked!

Heading east up the pan-handle

For the first 50km or so the villa developments (finished and unfinished/abandoned) are an eyesore. In fact, the area seemed to be struggling as a holiday venue and appeared desolate.

I pitch the tent quickly as the afternoon thunder clouds quickly develop

It's a muddy departure in the morning

A Greek Orthodox church preserved as an ancient monument

No comments:

Post a Comment