Saturday 6 April 2013

Day 65 'Rest day' in Eskisehir

 Listen to your body

I didn't realise how physically run-down I was pre-Istanbul. But my body soon let me know. It was around the time of my stupid night ride. It wasn't my diet or the sub-zero temperatures, just lack of sleep/ rest. In quick succession I had a chest infection, sore throat, mouth ulcers. I got the message.......no more setting alarms to get more hours out of the day. Recalibrate my brain that 80km is a good daily average, forget the 100km (haha.. that didn't happen!).

Leaving Istanbul I had a pain in my groin, or to be more anatomically specific, in my left testis. I thought it might have got squashed in an enthusiastic unladen ride up to the Galata Tower the night before (boy, there are some steep hills around there!).

Three days later, it's worse and to cap it all I discover a hard lump. Shit! No matter how hard you try to rationalise the situation, the big C looms darkly over all. I have a few sleepless nights on the way here trying to sort out my 'new' future. Priority - get to a hospital and find out what's going on. Eskesir (pop 650,000) is the place. The hotel summons a taxi and directs the driver to purportedly one of the best hospitals in Turkey. Good.
Acibadem Hospital - one of the best in Turkey

At reception I am assigned a sweetie of a young woman because she speaks English. Seda is 8 months pregnant but you wouldn't know it. No feet up on a sofa for her! She chaperons me through the whole process. First the consultation with Professor Semih Yasar Sargin
. A distinguished looking man who's first words to me were "Well it's not cancer, there's no pain with cancer". A deep peace descends over me.

Professor Sargin

I have an infection. As the good professor sagely put it "if it's got blood vessels it's entitle to get infected" Quite.

The radiant Seda Yildiz Atasagun - with bump!

I have a scan and get to see the Professor again later in the afternoon when he comes out of surgery. We have a nice chat and when I tell him how old I am he tapped his wooden desk with his knuckles and said "we have a saying here in Turkey -  'God has blessed you'". At that moment I did indeeed feel very blessed.

At lunch-time in the 'canteen' Seda inquires what sort of food I like. "Sit down" she said, "I'll choose it for you".

Didn't she do well! Seda paid for it too - I was lost for words.

Later, I head for the pharmacy prescription in hand. After paying for my antibiotics the manager asks if I would like a tea or coffee. What! And yes, the password for our wi-fi is...........Amazing.
 (Are you reading this Eduarda)
Am I dreaming?

I loved the coffee cups featuring K Attaturk.
If you need a benchmark for a health service then this could be it. A tad expensive but Seda even phoned the directors and arranged a discount for me...!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment